Signal No. 1 up in Metro Manila, nearby areas
MANILA (AdChoiceTV News) — Storm warning signals were raised in parts of Luzon and the Visayas as Tropical Storm Dante barreled down towards Romblon after making a second landfall over Masbate early Wednesday, the state weather bureau said.
PAGASA said the center of Dante made its second landfall in the vicinity of Cataingan town in Masbate. The storm first hit land over Eastern Visayas Tuesday night.
“Posible po itong magkaroon ng pangatlong landfall d’yan sa may bahagi ng Romblon ngayong hapon,” PAGASA weather forecaster Ana Clauren told ABS-CBN’s Teleradyo.
(It can make a third landfall in a portion of Romblon later afternoon.)
“Kung magwestward pa po ang kaniyang pagkilos, possible rin po nitong daanan ang bahagi ng Oriental Mindoro pagkatapos dumaan sa bahagi ng Romblon.”
(If the storm continues westward, it’s possible it would traverse parts of Oriental Mindoro after Romblon.)
In its 8 a.m. weather bulletin, PAGASA said the center of Dante was last spotted over the southern coastal waters of Romblon, Romblon, packing maximum sustained winds of 65 kilometers per hour (kph) with gusts of up to 90 kph.
The country’s 4th storm this year, which has so far killed 3 people and left 1 missing after lashing Mindanao, has accelerated further and is now moving west northwestward at 25 kph from 20 kph.
PAGASA said Dante would begin turning more northwestward and may pass near or in the vicinity of Oriental Mindoro or
Marinduque before making another landfall over Batangas-southern Quezon area.
A more north northwestward movement is likely beginning Wednesday night as the tropical cyclone moves over mainland Luzon. It would then emerge over the West Philippine Sea via the Lingayen Gulf early Thursday.
The tropical storm is forecast to maintain its strength until it makes landfall over mainland Luzon. Further land interaction will weaken
it into a tropical depression Wednesday night, PAGASA said.
Tropical cyclone wind Signal No. 2 was hoisted over the following areas:
- southern portion of Quezon (San Francisco, Mulanay, Catanauan, General Luna, Macalelon, Pitogo, Unisan, Agdangan, Padre Burgos, Pagbilao, Sariaya, City of Tayabas, Lucena City, Dolores, Lucban, Candelaria, Tiaong, San Antonio, San Andres, San Narciso)
- southern portion of Laguna (Majayjay, Liliw, Nagcarlan, Rizal, San Pablo City, Calauan, Bay, Los Baños, Alaminos)
- Oriental Mindoro
- extreme northern portion of Occidental Mindoro (Abra de Ilog)
- western portion of Masbate (Aroroy, Milagros, Mandaon, Balud) including Burias Island
- northern portion of Capiz (Sapi-An, Ivisan, Roxas City, Panay, Pontevedra, President Roxas, Pilar)
- northern portion of Aklan (Malay, Nabas, Ibajay, Tangalan, Makato, Lezo, Numancia, Kalibo, New Washington, Batan)
- extreme northeastern portion of Iloilo (Balasan, Estancia, Carles)
The following areas were placed under tropical cyclone wind Signal No. 1:
- Metro Manila
- Ilocos Norte
- Ilocos Sur
- La Union
- western portion of Kalinga (Pasil, Tanudan, Lubuagan, Balbalan, Tinglayan)
- Mountain Province
- extreme southern portion of Isabela (Ramon, Cordon)
- Nueva Vizcaya
- western portion of Quirino (Nagtipunan, Cabarroguis, Diffun, Aglipay, Saguday)
- central and southern portion of Aurora (Dipaculao, Maria Aurora, Baler, San Luis, Dingalan)
- Nueva Ecija
- rest of Quezon
- rest of Laguna
- Occidental Mindoro
- Calamian Islands
- Cuyo Islands
- western portion of Camarines Norte (Labo, Capalonga, Santa Elena)
- western portion of Camarines Sur (Del Gallego, Lupi, Ragay, Sipocot, Libmanan, Pasacao, Pamplona, San Fernando, Minalabac, Bula, Nabua, Balatan, Bato, Cabusao, Milaor, Canaman, Gainza, Camaligan, Magarao)
- western portion of Albay (Polangui, Libon, Oas, City of Ligao, Pio Duran, Guinobatan, Jovellar)
- rest of Masbate including Ticao Island
- western portion of Sorsogon (Donsol, Pilar, Castilla, Magallanes, Bulan, Matnog)
- rest of Aklan
- rest of Capiz
- rest of Iloilo
- northern portion of Negros Occidental (La Castellana, Pontevedra, Hinigaran, Moises Padilla, Pulupandan, Valladolid, San Enrique, La Carlota City, San Carlos City, Bago City, Bacolod City, Murcia, Salvador Benedicto, Calatrava, City of Talisay, Silay City, Enrique B. Magalona, City of Victorias, Manapla, Cadiz City, Sagay City, City of Escalante, Toboso)
- extreme northern portion of Negros Oriental (Canlaon City, Vallehermoso)
- northwestern portion of Cebu (Pinamungahan, Toledo City, Balamban, Asturias, Tuburan, Tabuelan, Medellin, San Remigio, Daanbantayan) including Bantayan Islands
PAGASA said Dante would bring moderate to heavy with at times intense rains over Calabarzon, Romblon, Marinduque, Occidental Mindoro, Oriental Mindoro, Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Iloilo, Guimaras, and the northern portion of Negros Occidental form Wednesday to Thursday morning
Moderate to heavy rains may also prevail over Metro Manila, Pangasinan, Zambales, Bataan, Tarlac, Pampanga, Bulacan, the northern portion of Palawan including Calamian, Cuyo, and Cagayancillo Islands, the rest of Negros Occidental, and the northern portion of Cebu including Bantayan Islands.
Meanwhile, light to moderate with at times heavy rains are likely over the rest of Central Luzon, Benguet, Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, the rest of MIMAROPA, Negros Oriental, the rest of Cebu including Camotes Islands, Bohol, Biliran, Leyte, and Southern Leyte.